Bangkok Lifestyle

As many of you know I live in a small studio apartment (really a room). It has both advantages and disadvantages. The plus side is I live in an affordable, clean and well run building. It is dead quiet as far as other residents and I overlook a quiet backwater of a Thai neighborhood. It also has a very large 60 square foot balcony which is my refuge and makes the room feel a whole lot bigger than it is. Having said that, it has a few disadvantages, the main one being the lack of a dedicated kitchen. For most dwellers of these types of buildings, it is not a big deal because almost everyone eats out or buys prepared meals readily available on the street. I also do this but I love to cook and also want to control the healthy eating aspect of my mealtimes. Recently I have made some progress in setting up an impromptu kitchen area with a new toaster oven which makes my life easier and a lot more enjoyable. I also have recently acquired a small love seat/sofa to compliment my 2 cheapo plastic chairs and the bed. I hope this gives a bit of clarity as to the practicalities of my living arrangements in Bangkok.

Just for reference sake I pay about $200 US for rent and another $50 for utilities monthly. This is usually with running the air conditioner from about 9 PM until 7 AM. Running it all day would cost considerably more but is usually not necessary.

My recent additions are shown as follows:

This makes it feel more like home !

This thing gets seriously hot !

Pantry to the left, Food Prep and Cooking Center, Fridge and Tea Kettle to the Right
Food Prep as it happens! 

From a different angle


Comments

  1. Home sweet home. Looks very comfortable. Is the bed yours or does it come with the room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most apartments come furnished with a bed and a desk of some sort. Some buildings also have TV and fridge rentals but my building was new when I moved in so I purchased the fridge. Many condos rented direct from owners will be fully furnished with appliances and TVs. Only houses are rented unfurnished in Thailand.

      Delete
  2. Love how you're making it more "homey" Ken...dunno how you held out so long without those little amenities (I guess you're pretty busy:). Glad to see things are going so well for you. Miss you!
    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you're making it more "homey" Ken...dunno how you held out so long without those little amenities (I guess you're pretty busy:). Glad to see things are going so well for you. Miss you!
    Celeste

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Adventures in Asia

Lumpinee Park

Thai School Experience